Saturday, August 18, 2012

Funnel Cakes

Actually, they are mini funnel cakes, just so we are clear. I found this recipe here, but I don't quite follow the instructions. They are a lot easier than you might think, so I would encourage you to give it a try.

Dry Ingredients
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup powdered sugar

Wet Ingredients
1 1/3 cups milk
1/4 tsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg

Mix the dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl, mix all of your wet ingredients together. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients, and stir until a thick batter forms.
In a small pan, (I use an iron skillet about 6 inches in diameter) heat about 1/2 inch of oil ( I use peanut oil.) Scoop batter into a small funnel, and hold it closed with your finger. When the oil is hot, allow the batter to drop in the pan. Take it easy, don't rush. I like to make a circle and then fill it in. Make sure to criss-cross the batter a lot, to avoid your cakes falling apart. Let the cakes float in the oil.
The cakes are ready to flip, anywhere from 30 seconds to 1 minute. The edges will look almost golden brown. Flip the cake, and let float for 30 seconds to 1 minute.


I usually have a helper, so as soon as I am ready to take them out, I put them on a plate with a paper towel, and she sprinkles powdered sugar on them.


I have never had them any other way, so I don't really know how they would taste with anything else. You can experiment if you want, or you can just eat them as is. We usually have them at dinner, but they would be good as breakfast too. So far, we have paired them with bacon, or sweetened apples.

No comments:

Post a Comment